Upcoming Spectrum Health Lakeland events
ST. JOSEPH — Spectrum Health Lakeland announced upcoming community health events at its locations across Berrien County. All but one event is free.
• Bones in Balance classes — This four-week program is meant to teach those with osteoporosis and osteopenia to live with their conditions through self-management with the help of a pharmacist, registered dietician and a nurse educator. Classes meet 9 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays March 2 to 26 at the Center for Outpatient Services, 3900 Hollywood Road, St. Joseph.
A physician’s order and a $25 registration fee are needed. The remaining amount is billable to insurance. To register, staff said to call (269) 556-7150.
• Living Well with Heart Failure — This free class will teach people the basics of congestive heart failure. It will be from 1 to 2 p.m. Tuesday, March 3 in Classroom B at Lakeland Hospital Watervliet, 400 Medical Park Dr., Watervliet.
To register, staff said to call (269) 556-2808 or (866) 260-7544.
• “Lose Weight … Find Health” — The first of a series of free seminars on losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight will take place Wednesday, March 4 at Caring Circle, 4025 Health Park Lane. St. Joseph. A second seminar is on Wednesday, March 18 at Lakeland Medical Suites, 42 N. St. Joseph Ave., Niles.
For more information or to register for the seminar, staff said to visit lakelandweightlosscenter.com/events or call (269) 687-4673.
• Pre-diabetes class — This free program is designed to help anyone with higher-than-normal blood sugar levels learn about lifestyle changes which may help them avoid or delay the onset of diabetes. It will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday, March 5 in Classroom B at Lakeland Hospital Watervliet, 400 Medical Park Drive.
Pre-registration is required. Staff said to call (269) 556-2868 to do so.
• Blood pressure screenings, health coaching — Community members are invited to visit an upcoming Neighborhood-Based Health Home. Free blood pressure screenings at a variety of community centers. A clinical educator will be on-site for personal health coaching sessions. Those in attendance will can meet with a Lakeland resident physician and participate in discussion about key medical topics.
The events are at the following locations: 10 a.m. to noon Friday, March 6 at Gateway Plaza, Niles; 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursday, March 12 at Catholic Community Center, Benton Harbor; and 2 to 6 p.m. Thursday, March 12 at Elite Barbershop, Benton Harbor.
For more information, staff said to call (269) 556-2808
• Heartburn, reflux treatment discussion — Seth Miller, MD, will host a free seminar, “Say Goodbye to GERD,” 6 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 10 at Lakeland Hospital Niles, 31 N. St. Joseph Ave.
Miller will discuss the Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication procedure, an approach which reconstructs the body’s natural barrier to reflux without an incision.
Preregistration is encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome, staff said. They said to call (269) 927-5361 or visit lakelandgeneralsurgery.com/gerdseminar for more information or to register.
• Youth mental health first aid course — This course is designed for adults who regularly interact with adolescents and teaches participants how to assist young people experiencing a mental health crisis until appropriate help is received or until the crisis resolves. It takes places from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, March 12 at Lakeland at Meadowbrook, 2550 Meadowbrook Road, Benton Harbor.
A training manual and certification is provided upon completion. Preregistration is required. Staff said to call (269) 556-2808 or (866) 260-7544.